The Good Shepherd

Roman Catholic Parish in Telford, Shropshire incorporating St. Mary's, Madeley and St. Paul's, Dawley

Also serving the communities of Broseley and Stirchley

Shepherd Picture

Welcome to the Parish of The Good Shepherd
 
The parish serves the Catholic communities of St. Mary’s, Madeley and St. Paul’s, Dawley as well as the communities of Broseley and Stirchley.

 

ST. MARY'S, MADELEY

Catholics have had a presence in Madeley since at least 1676, when there were 51 adult 'papists' recorded as living here.

Today’s presbytery was built in 1769, on a plot of land gifted in 1761 by the Giffards, a recusant family. A Mass House, which we know today as the Upper Room and Lower Room, was incorporated in the rear of the building.

The presbytery is a Grade II listed building.

The church was opened in 1853, and is unfinished; you can spot the clues internally and externally if you take a wander around the building. As a result, it had to undergo major renovation work some years ago, to counter the effects of 150 years of Madeley weather!

In recent years, volunteers installed a magnificent organ at the back of the church, and the church itself has been completely refurbished inside.

You can find out more about the buildings, their history and their 'listed' status here.

The Lower Room has also been refurbished and is once again being used as a chapel where Mass and Services of Word and Holy Communion are celebrated each weekday.

The Lower Room incorporates the tabernacle and chairs from All Saints, Stirchley and the altar and crucifix from St. Winefride's, Broseley, thus retaining links and reminders from those churches previously served by the parish.

St. Mary's is now incorporated in the Parish of The Good Shepherd.

ST. PAUL'S, DAWLEY

Between 1639 and 1767, "Papist" families were recorded in Dawley, but there is no evidence of a Catholic community of any size until the 20th Century and local Catholics had to travel to Wellington or Madeley to go to church.

In 1958, Dawley Town Hall was used for Catholic services and negotiations began for the purchase of some land on Paddock Mount, where a church hall was opened in 1964, behind the Dun Cow Inn. Weekly Mass, celebrated by the Shifnal parish priest, was then attended by around 100 people.

Dawley was created a separate parish in 1978 and by 1980 the hall had been dedicated to Saint Paul.

From 1979 the Anglican church of St. Leonard's, Malinslee, was used for Mass on Saturday evenings, and in 1980 Sunday Mass was also celebrated in the Hollinswood Community Centre.

St. Paul’s moved to its present purpose-built church and community rooms, which were formally opened by Bishop Joseph Gray, in 1983.

St. Paul's is now incorporated in the Parish of The Good Shepherd.

ST. WINEFRIDE'S, BROSELEY

"Sale of Property, 1870, Broseley". A row of buildings, described as “hovels”, in Barber’s Row was purchased by Mr. William Allen for the purpose of  erecting a chapel on the site for the use of the Catholics.

Prior to 1888, when the "Iron Church" was opened, Mass had been celebrated in private houses. The last-known use of the iron structure was in 1912 by the Broseley Scout Troop. St. Winefride’s, as it was known, was dismantled in 1915.

There appears to have been no church on the site until about 1960/62, when an old army hut, purchased for £150, was erected. Worship continued in this wooden hut until about 1975, when it was decided to build a more permanent structure, which was completed in 1979.

Broseley has never been a Catholic Parish in its own right; it has been served by Bridgnorth in the past and is now incorporated in the Parish of the Good Shepherd.

ALL SAINTS, STIRCHLEY

All Saints was established in Stirchley Centre in 1975, as part of an ecumenical venture by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Shrewsbury and the Anglican Diocese of Lichfield, to serve the communities of Stirchley and Brookside.

The church closed in 2013 and Stirchley is now also incorporated in the Parish of the Good Shepherd.

 
St. Mary's, Madeley
St. Paul's, Dawley
Lower Room, Madeley
 

MASS TIMES
Saturday Vigil
St. Mary's, Madeley - 5pm

Sunday
St. Paul's, Dawley - 9am
St. Mary's, Madeley - 11am

CONFESSIONS
See Parish Newsletter

WEEKDAY MASSES and OTHER SERVICES
See Parish Newsletter

FIND US

CONTACT US
Telephone: 01952 586118
e-mail: pp@goodshepherd.org.uk

St. Paul's
Burton St. and Doseley Rd.
Dawley
Shropshire. TF4 3AH
Find it on Google Maps

St. Mary's
70 High St.
Madeley
Shropshire. TF7 5AH
Find it on Google Maps

Copyright © Good Shepherd, Telford
Page last updated: 26 November, 2015